Violet Moss Brown from Duanvale in Trelawny is the 3rd oldest person in the world. She can still recite a poem she learned in basic school and still reads without eyeglasses. She celebrated her 116th birthday on March 16, 2016. Here are some more marvelous facts about Mrs Violet Moss Brown:
- Her eldest child who still lives on the same property, is 95 years old, and is the oldest person in the world with a parent still alive.
- She has lived in Duanvale all her life.
- Has received a plaque from the Queen of England, Queen Elizabeth II.
- She is the oldest person in Jamaica and the Caribbean.
- Believes her faith is what has preserved her. In speaking about what has contributed to her longevity, she said: “My faith in serving God, and believing strongly in the teaching of the bible.”
- She was born March 10th, 1900, in Duanvale, Trelawny, Jamaica
- She is a post slavery survivor who worked as a plantation worker cutting cane for her masters, also working as a maid in their homes.
- She was a music teacher and seamstress.
- She served the church in various capacities for 80 years.
- Has kept impeccable record of burials in the Duanvale cemetery since 1997.
From The Observer
KINGSTON, Jamaica — Jamaica’s oldest citizen, supercentenarian Violet Moss Brown, is approximately eight months younger than the world’s oldest person, Susannah Mushatt Jones of the United States, according to information available from the Gerontology Research Group (GRG) website.
Moss Brown, who is ranked third by the GRG and who was introduced to local readers by an article published on March 19, 2009, turned 116 years old on March 10. Mushatt Jones turned 116 on July 6, 2015, while second placed Italian Emma Morano turned 116 on November 29 last year.
This means that the three oldest human beings, which includes Moss Brown, are only separated in age by months.
Moss Brown, affectionately called Aunt V, lives in Duanvale, Trelawny. Her eldest child, Harold Fairweather, at age 95, is said to be the world’s oldest living child with a parent alive.
A supercentenarian is someone who has lived to or passed their 110th birthday. There are estimated to be 300–450 living supercentenarians in the world, though only 50 verified cases are known.